Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Day Five - Market and Selah's Passport

Day Five – Market and Selah’s Passport

Because Selah has been so unhappy and because it doesn’t take much to set her off, I have not given her a bath yet. But since it’s going on day three, I decided we had to try. So, I ran the shower for awhile to warm up the bathroom (you have no idea how freezing these rooms are and you can’t completely turn off the a/c). Then I brought her in and turned on the faucet and wiggled my fingers in the water. I dropped a few drops on her hand and she didn’t cry so I kept going. I sat on the edge of the tub with one leg in and one leg out and played in the water splashing and filling cups and dumping them out. Then I finally put her in and she was very intrigued. She patted the water, played with cups and began her own game of filling the cups and throwing the water to the other side of the tub.



Then came shampoo time – I was nervous. I slowly began sprinkling water on her back and worked my way slowly up to her head. She kept playing and had no problem with it! Then I rubbed in the shampoo, still no problem. The I laid her head back on my thigh so it would be back far enough to rinse and looked up at me, waited for me to rinse and went back to playing. Success!!!


Tony’s not feeling well. He says he feels like there are cats somewhere around. He’s pretty congested and uncomfortable breathing. I think it’s because of the poor air quality. He’s really uncomfortable. Please pray for him.

Then Bill said we didn’t have to go to the police station for passports until 2:30 so he would take us to the market. That was definitely an experience.

First there was the world famous spice market…



These scorpions are suppose to cure cancer…

They sedate them with liquor and then swallow them whole and alive! I guess the definition of "cure" is to die of something else instead of cancer!

Pet shop in the street (yes, pet shop – not grocery store)…


Then we came around behind those buildings and saw the main mall with clothes, cell phones, eatery, entertainment, etc….




We got some important souvenirs here, but I’m keeping those a secret. (Nick and Cody, we don’t have yours yet. Today we only found “girly” stuff.)

By the time we got here, I had been carrying Selah in the backpack all this time, and I could not hold her anymore. I’m sure due to everyone’s prayers, my back is completely fine, but my thighs were worn out! She’s a big girl! So, we tried putting her in the stroller. Today’s first crying episode. I took her out and she nearly ran from it when her feet hit the floor.

Bill said, “Pick her up, put her back in and start moving right away. Will walk Emily beside her and she’ll see that it’s fun.” I figured I could try it because it was such a busy place, if she did cry, no one could even hear her anyways. So, we did it Bill’s way and the initial reaction was the same, but after 3 minutes, she looked over at Emily, took a swig of her water and she’s love it ever since. Bill to the rescue once again.

Then we moved to the indoor part of the mall. We thought Orland was impressive -- This mall has five floors and is several blocks long. We never got to the other side so I don't know how long it actually is.


Then we had lunch in a very local restaurant. We’re getting to experience very authentic stuff because our group is small and two in our group speak Chinese – it’s quite and experience!



(Nick, I bet you're really, REALLY glad you didn't come to China now!)

Then we had to hurry home and get our belongings to head to the Police station.

It was a completely painless process. Just came in, handed the policemen our passports, they took and photo of Selah and they handed us the paperwork. Done. We’ll get her visa later in this week or next week.


When we got back to the hotel, Bill took Tony for a walk to the local pharmacy to find some Benedryl. He took the medicine, but doesn’t feel any better. I’m a little stuffed, but not bad at all. I only have to blow my nose a lot when I wake up in the morning, but the rest of the day I’m fine. Tony’s eyes are all red and he just looks miserable. I feel so bad for him.

Then we walked around the town on our own, had dinner at Lucy’s again. I’ll have to get a picture of Lucy’s because that’s where we eat most often. There’s a variety of Chinese and American food and Selah love’s their beef fried rice. Tony wanted to stay out in the air as much as possible. I thought it was the air that was bothering him, but I guess the fresh air brings him some relief.

Then we found another Starbuck’s in our travels so I had cheese cake and Tony had tiramisu and coffee while we sat outside. Selah crashed in the stroller. When we got back to the room, I picked her up, changed her pants, put on her pajamas and she still didn’t wake up. So, that was 6 pm – I wonder what time she’ll wake up tomorrow….

No comments: