Sunday, November 25, 2007

Day Six - To Zhanjiang

Day Six –Traveling to Zhanjiang

We’re beginning to realize that Selah is capable of much more than she initial let on. First, I was too far from the door to close it so I said, “close the door” as I motioned, but I didn’t expect her to understand. She turned right around, moved the slippers out of the way that were on the floor and closed the door. Then, yesterday morning she was sitting on the bed because she had just woken up (I let her wake up slowly so that I don’t scare her). I guess I didn’t move quickly enough for her so she slid off the bed, walked around until she found her shoes and plopped down and put them on herself – correct feet at all! So, this morning I got a picture of her doing that!

Then we were off for our 7 hours of travel. Had to get one photo of dad in the van…

And mom and Selah…


There was really interesting things on the way. First of all, you can’t go to China and not get photos of the fields…


Second, Bill pointed out something very tragic to us. He said that the bridge we were about to over had a parallel bridge running along side it just a few feet to the side. It was one of the best bridges and won all these awards, but a shipped ran into it and a section of it collapse. This happened only three months ago. It was early morning so not many cars were on it, but about 7 cars did fall into the river below.


Of course, there are TONS of water buffalo in China. I tried to get a few photos, but we were moving so quickly they were had to photograph. I was amazed to see that the buffalo are allowed to just roam in the fields. They were walking on crops, eating, even laying down and crushing some. But I guess it’s simpler than having them caged and growing food just for them and having to bring it to them, etc.. This way man and beast work together, eat together, rest together. Apparently, it all works out.


Besides, I think they couldn’t afford to land to cage them. Every square inch is used. Even the house are build up – not one beside another. That would waste too much land. It’s funny to be way out in the country with fields all around and then to have a tall building sticking out, but I guess you need that when you have so many mouths to feed.

We drove into Yangjiang first which is Emily’s town. It was between Guangzhou and Zhanjiang. I was amazed to see so many mopeds. When I asked Bill he said that this is how every town in China is. We didn’t see them in Guangzhou because just a few months ago there was a law passed banning motorcycles of any kind in that town. “Why” you ask (well even if you didn’t, I did)? Because so many people migrate to Guangzhou for work from all areas of the country that many do not find work and begin to use desperate measures to find money. One common theft technique was to drive by on motorcycle and snatch a necklace or purse and drive into small alleys and streets where the police could not chase you. So, no more motorcycles.

Since, Yangjiang was halfway, we stopped for lunch. WOW! Did we ever have lunch!! Bill really know how to pick the restaurants!


I wish Tony had had someone stand next to these shark fins so that you could get a feel for how big they are. Maybe if you look at the light switch to the left you’ll get an idea. I wonder how large the shark was that was attached to these!

If you go to a seafood restaurant, they usually have their “menu” swimming around right at the front door as you walk in. They like to show off their fresh food.



Then back on the van and time for a nap!


As we got close to Zhanjiang, the landscape because to change a lot. There were groves of fruit trees just like in Florida, it was very mountainous, lots of sand, many rivers and the crops definitely changed.


Also, the city is very polluted and has heavy smog. Bill said that this town is known for that. Not sure if this will help with Tony’s congestion.

Finally, we arrived at the hotel. Again, Bill really knows how to pick ‘em.




We relaxed in our rooms for about an hour and then it was time for dinner……and THEY HAD TURKEY and stuffing and cranberry sauce and apple sauce…no pumpkin pie, though. So, I had that and Tony had sushi for his Thanksgiving dinner.


I took a photo of the Dragon Fruit for Paul Davidson. It's red with a black and white inside. It was on top of our Thanksgiving desert.


I have to tell you a story for which I have no photos and it was the most important part of the trip so far. We were watching the news and kind of “Zoning out” before dinner because of the long trip. Well, I guess Selah didn’t like that and wanted to have some more interaction. So, she came beside me, stared at the remote for awhile and then turned off the TV. When I looked down at her she squinted her eyes and turned up the corners of her mouth into the beginnings of a smile! She was really proud of herself.

Then, when we went down for dinner I was too cold and went back for my sweatshirt. Of course Selah had to come up with me. When we were leaving the room, she decided she didn’t want to walk anymore and stood infront of me with her arms up. I have been speaking very clearly to her and encouraging her to speak this whole time so again I leanded over and said and very exaggerated “up”. She looked at me for a long time and said, “ahhhhhh –p”. Of course my reaction was very excited and so she gave me the biggest grin and hugged my neck. SHE SMILED!!!!!! And no one was there to even see it! Now Tony’s mad because Paul said she smiled at him yesterday, Bill said she smiled at him at lunch today (which everyone saw but Tony and I) and now she smiled at me. But, I think I’m so excited that she’s being responsive that I don’t care who it’s for.

More tomorrow………

No comments: